Wednesday, February 29, 2012





Happy Leap Day everyone! I always thought it would be kinda neat to be born on this day!  Just something really unique.

It sure has been awhile since I have posted here. There really isn't much that has been happening so I didn't have anything to really write about. I still don't have much to write about but I had to post on Feb.29th! LOL

I wanted to share a treasure and story with you. My paternal Grandpa was a mechanic. He worked many years in the auto garage in his small town and then he decided to go out on his own and be a tractor and farm machine mechanic. I remember that he had this aqua colored van and he had all of the back seats removed and had all of his tools in the back and also shelves and drawers and things for his parts and nails and screws. My sister, brothers and I used to love going into the back of Grandpa's van and just opening all of the little drawers and seeing what was in all of them. He knew we did this and he started putting candy in different drawers so we would find that and call it the "magic drawer". My Grandpa dies in 1978 and after his death my dad got a few of his things. Over Christmas we were going through them and dad was telling us what they were. Grandpa was also an inventor. If there was a tool he needed that he didn't have he would make it. There were a lot of things my dad had that Grandpa had made. It was neat hearing and seeing what they were used for. Dad also had this toll case thingie that Grandpa had made...it was a number of drawers and had a piece of board across the top so he could carry it. Each drawer is divided a different way and there were washers and nails and screws and lots of other things in there that I don't have any idea what they were. Well I fell in LOVE with it. First of all it was just a smaller version of what Grandpa had in the back of his van and so it brought back memories, second of all it was made by Grandpa and third it just looked cool.  You could definitely tell it was well used and also by a mechanic, it had a lot of nicks and dings and grease on it but again I LOVED it. I asked if I could have it and my dad let me have it. I have done a lot of cleaning it up and here it is!
Isn't it just the coolest thing? I still have some work to do on the bottom two drawers but I love it...did I say that already? LOL

Well I think that is it for today. Have a fantastic march everyone! Think Spring!!


3 comments:

Donna said...

Oh my! what a wonderful treasure!!!
My grandfather was also a mechanic in a small town and I remember going through his garage/shop and marveling over the tools he used to tinker with ... he loved lemon drops and would have plenty handy to share with us.

cynthia lee designs said...

Oh Cindi...what a wonderful piece to have!! I can see why you love it. I see that you have some Willow Tree Angels...I have several too and love them.
hugs,
Cindy

Gail Stark said...

I am sure you will treasure this forever!